Recruitment Announcement for Short Term Hire
Pioneer Air Museum (Fairbanks, Alaska)
TITLE: Collections Assistant (Part time, 10hr/week for a 24 week appointment)
DATE POSTED: November 28, 2017
POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting the collections manager with the ongoing collections cataloging project, as well as museum collections duties as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Works under the guidance of and reports to the collections manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Classifies and physically numbers museum artifacts.
- Performs data entry and filing of donor recognition letters, gift forms, catalog records, and other artifact documentation.
- Assists with inventories of collections and reconciliation with artifact records.
- Assists with storage of collections.
- Assists with simple, appropriate cleaning of artifacts.
- Assists with maintenance, security, and upgrades of collections database.
- Retrieves and prepares artifacts and artifact information, conducts artifact-related research, and provides input to staff regarding collection elements for museum needs.
- Museum Studies degree or equivalent experience working in museums
- Interest and/or knowledge of Alaskan aviation history
- Museum experience preferred
- Detail oriented
- Ability to work independently once trained
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Frequently required to walk, sit and stand for extended periods; frequently required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, or crouch; occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 25 pounds.
Those interested should send a letter of interest and resume to: Erin Kirchner, Collections Manager, email@example.com by December 12, 2017.
The Pioneer Air Museum is located in Pioneer Park at 2300 Airport Way, Fairbanks, AK 99707. Questions may be directed to Erin Kirchner at firstname.lastname@example.org or 907-451-0037.
This position was made possible by a grant from the Collections Management Fund of Museums Alaska with generous support from the Rasmuson Foundation.