Annual Conference 2013
The 2013 conference will be in Haines, AK September 25-28, 2013
The Museums Alaska Program Committee has recommended the following theme and keynote speaker for the 2013 MA Conference:
Collaborations: Coming Together for Museums
Keynote: Michael Gates
Michael is a trained archaeologist, conservator, and calls himself a History Hunter. He has published 3 books: Gold at Forty-Mile Creek, History Hunting, and Dalton’s Gold Rush Trail. He is retired from Parks Canada and is now a major force in advocating the Canadian government return (laid-off) staff to the Canadian parks. He worked for many years to professionalize their collections and exhibits process.
Email the Program Committee
Museums Alaska-Alaska Historical Society Joint Annual Conference
Is your community interested in hosting the joint annual conference in the future?
Submit proposals for the 2014 conference and beyond…
• Interested communities should submit a written proposal for a future year conference to the AHS and MA boards one month prior to the conference.
• An action item should be included on the joint board meeting agenda under “new business”. The proposals should be included in the board packets for this meeting.
• Representatives from interested communities may make verbal presentations during this meeting.
• A decision should be made on approximate dates and specific location for the next annual meeting during this joint board meeting.
• The community’s proposal must address the following “Criteria for Selection”.
CRITERIA FOR SELECTION
• Ability of the community to support the conference (hotel capacity, conference center, existence of restaurants, caterers, or food service)
• Existence of a Host Committee in the proposing community and its capacity to fulfill its duties as described in this document
• Representation on the Host Committee of members of AHS and MA
• Diversity of conference locations (the MA and AHS wish to rotate the conference through diverse communities with diverse historical and cultural institutions)
• Potential for attracting registrants
• Potential for earning a net profit