Museums Alaska is pleased to announce that the Art Acquisition Fund continues in 2014-16, thanks to generous support from Rasmuson Foundation. In 2015, $265,000 will be available for grants to qualified Alaska museums and culture centers for the purchase of contemporary Alaskan works of art.
The program for 2015 begins February 1 and applications will be accepted by the following deadlines: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 and Thursday, October 15, 2015.
The guidelines and application for 2015 will be updated on this site by February 1, 2015. They will be similar to those of last year. Here’s a summary of the key guidelines:
- The Art Acquisition Fund is intended for Alaska museums and culture centers to purchase contemporary works of art by living, resident Alaska artists.
- Museums and culture centers must have a history of collecting artwork and have a board-approved collections policy and an exhibitions/program plan.
- Selections of artwork are usually made by the established operating policies of the museum or culture center.
- Institutions may apply for up to $35,000 in funds for qualifying purchases. Museums and culture centers are asked to make every effort to ensure that the purchase price of artwork is in line with fair market value.
- An “Image-Use Authorization” form (for both the artist and the institution to sign) should accompany each purchase.
- Applicants are required to submit a reasonably high quality digital image of the artwork before an award is given. All works purchased through this program for which permission has been given in writing are posted on the Rasmuson Foundation website, thereby representing the institutions, the artists, and the contemporary artwork of Alaska.
- Commissioned works and copies or replicas of originals are not eligible.
For the complete guidelines and other forms necessary for the program, go to the links provided below or request directly from the Project Administrator, Michael Hawfield.
The Art Acquisition Fund not only makes possible the enrichment of the state’s museum and cultural center collections, but the funds also go directly to Alaska artists encouraging them to continue their work in Alaska. Browse supported artists on Rasmuson Foundation’s online gallery.
Applicants are encouraged to become members of Museums Alaska, if not already, though it is not required for a grant award. Join here and help us continue to develop programs that benefit the Alaska museum community and the cultural sector.