Museums Alaska is pleased to announce that the Art Acquisition Fund continues in 2013, thanks to generous support from Rasmuson Foundation. This year, $265,000 will be available for grants to qualified Alaska museums and culture centers for the purchase of contemporary Alaskan works of art.
The program for 2013 begins on May 13 and applications will be accepted for consideration and awarded on a rolling basis until the deadline: Friday, August 16, 2013.
The guidelines and application for 2013 are similar to those of last year. Here’s a summary of the key guidelines:
- The Art Acquisition Fund is intended for Alaska museums and culture centers to purchase contemporary works of art by living, resident Alaska artists.
- Museums and culture centers must have a history of collecting artwork and have a board-approved collections policy and an exhibitions/program plan.
- Selections of artwork are usually made by the established operating policies of the museum or culture center.
- Institutions may apply for up to $35,000 in funds for qualifying purchases. Museums and culture centers are asked to make every effort to ensure that the purchase price of artwork is in line with fair market value.
- An “Image-Use Authorization” form (for both the artist and the institution to sign) should accompany each purchase.
- Applicants are required to submit a reasonably high quality digital image of the artwork before an award is given. All works purchased through this program for which permission has been given in writing are posted on the Rasmuson Foundation website, thereby representing the institutions, the artists, and the contemporary artwork of Alaska.
- Commissioned works and copies or replicas of originals are not eligible.
For the complete guidelines and other forms necessary for the program, go to the links provided below or request directly from the Project Administrator, Michael Hawfield.
Last year, the Art Acquisition Fund distributed $300,000 to twenty-two museums and culture centers which, in turn, purchased more than 90 works of art from over 50 Alaska artists.
Since the program began in 2003, the Art Acquisition Fund has supported the purchase of 635 works of contemporary Alaska art by 284 resident Alaska artists with distribution to Alaska museums and culture centers totaling $1,596,045. These are funds that not only make possible the enrichment of the state’s museum and culture center collections, but the funds also go directly to Alaska artists encouraging them to continue their work in Alaska.
Applicants are encouraged to become members of Museums Alaska, if not already, though it is not required for a grant award. Join here and help us continue to develop programs that benefit the Alaska museum community and the cultural sector.